Monday, January 2, 2012

No Funerals Here!

Based on Luke 7:11-17

The funeral took me through the desert.
Sorrow was all I had to eat.
Tears were the only drink provided
For all I could do was trudge and weep.
All surrounding me screamed "ashes."
I felt dead in my pain and fear.
But then I saw a man in the distance,
Beckoning me to come, draw near.
At first I thought I saw a mirage
Until I saw a city, too.
And above the city gates was written:
"Beauty--where the dead find life anew."
This was no mirage--but Jesus!
He touched my coffin and said, "Arise!"
And all that had felt dead within me
Suddenly became alive!
His mercy filled me with His peace,
Discouragement replaced by dancing.
All I could do was respond, abandoned
To being a part of His kingdom-advancing.
First quietly worshipful--then noisily grateful--
I praised the Healer of the nations.
No funerals here; God's come to help us!
Truly we are a chosen generation!

No comments: